FIND out how to use Paypal (PP) to gamble online in pounds (GBP) using the UK’s most popular e-wallet.
Paypal was founded in December 1998 – last year (2014) the company helped over 160 million clients move $228 billion using 100+ currencies. The payment processor operates in over 200 countries worldwide.
To say PP is a juggernaut in the online payments space would be an understatement.
The electronic wallet was a wholly owned subsidiary of Ebay up until July 2015, but an expected spin-off was completed and now the company has more flexibility to become a bigger player in the industry.
Step-by-step Paypal casino deposit guide
I’ll explain how to join later, but first let’s look at how to complete a deposit at a casino. A lot of readers will already have an account, so following the steps below is all you will need to do to start playing.
- Choose any of the operators listed on this page.
- Open an account at the casino and visit the cashier.
- Select Paypal as your deposit method and the amount you want to play with.
- You’ll be redirected to Paypal.com to complete the transaction.
- Complete the payment by using your balance, credit card or bank account.
- Using this service to fund your online casino account is simple and just like any other purchase online.
Which countries can use Paypal to gamble?
Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone could use Paypal?
Unfortunately, Paypal is available for gambling online in a limited number of regulated countries. In order to accept PP payments – the operator and customers must be located in the same regulated jurisdiction.
For example, a licensed UK casino can offer deposits and payouts to British and Irish players.
The good news is players in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales can all use the e-wallet. The UK is the biggest user of PP for online betting. All deposits and withdrawals are processed in pounds (£GBP).
Other countries that can use the e-wallet include Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Austria and Greece. Europeans can fund casino accounts using Paypal in euros (€EUR).
How to open an account with PP
- Visit Paypal.com and click on “Sign-Up”.
- Choose a “Personal” account on the next page.
- Enter your email and then fill-in the complete registration form next.
- Accept the user agreement and then finish creating your account.
- You can use your account now, but the next step is to verify your personal information. In order to verify your account, you need to add a bank account or credit card to your profile.
- You will receive two tiny deposits to your bank or two tiny charges on your credit card.
- The next step is to enter the two small transactions on the e-wallet’s website to finish confirming your account. Once you confirm your details, you’ll have no restrictions, such as deposit or payout restrictions.
- Once verified, you can send funds from PP to your bank account in your preferred currency. UK players can get bank transfers processed in £GBP (Pound Sterling), while Europeans can get transfers in €EUR.
Over 20 other currencies are accepted as well, but most online casinos will only accept deposits and payouts in pounds, euros or US dollars. It takes minutes to join and only a few days to become 100% verified.
Providing your personal information is safe, as the latest encryption technologies are utilized. In fact, a benefit of using this e-wallet is that you don’t need to provide casinos with any personal banking details.
All payments are made on the secure PP web servers and not with the operator.
Can I receive Paypal payouts from online casinos?
The short answer is yes. While some casinos won’t process payouts using this e-wallet, the majority of Paypal casinos will process deposits and payouts. There are several benefits when getting paid by PP.
As mentioned previously – you can withdraw any funds directly to your registered bank account. There are zero fees when using this banking method, plus withdrawals can take as little as six hours with some operators.
One thing to keep in mind is potential currency exchange fees.
If your Paypal account is in a currency that’s different from your casino account, Paypal will convert the funds at their established rate. The best way to avoid currency exchange losses is to gamble in your currency.
Europeans who can use this payment service can open a wallet in euros (€EUR), while our local readers in the United Kingdom can have a wallet denominated in British pounds (£GBP).
Both currencies are accepted at all of the casino websites we review and rank at CasinoDeposits.co.uk.
Deposit are always instant using this e-wallet and payouts vary based on where you play, but range from six hours to three days. The minimum deposit is low – allowing everyone to use the e-wallet.
I’ve seen several casinos offer a £1 minimum deposit, but more commonly players have to add at least £5. In most cases the highest minimum I’ve seen is £10, although some operators require deposits of 20 pounds.
Can I use this payment method on a mobile device?
I’m asked this question a lot, so I decided to post my answer here for everyone.
Yes, Paypal can be used a mobile casino deposit method with several reputable websites. In fact, over 25% of the e-wallet’s transactions are done on a mobile device, such as an Android, iPhone or iPad.
The company processed over one billion mobile payments in 2014.
Reasons why Paypal won’t work at casino websites
Apart from living in a restricted country – there are other reasons why your deposit may not work — even if you live in one of the countries that can use this e-wallet when funding your account.
Any funds generated from sales on Ebay can’t be used to send payments.
If your account isn’t verified you may face restrictions sending money until approved. Lastly – if you’ve ever used an American Express (Amex card) at Paypal, you can’t use the same account to deposit at a casino.